Prepares and develops designs of various equipment for products and engineering proposals.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs varied equipment and develops necessary product specifications
- Mentors and teaches various Design Engineer I and II staff members
- Assists with the formulation of Airborne Systems’ design control policies and procedures
- Conducts and/or leads design reviews, including preparation and presentation of technical review material at major Customer review meetings
- Conducts and/or leads customer interface discussions, including negotiation and agreement of contractually binding technical specifications
- Specifies and oversees product testing and installation
- Analyzes research and test data and proposed product specifications to determine feasibility of product proposal
- Confers to clarify or resolve problems to finalize design development
- Prepares or directs preparation of product or system layout as well as detailed drawings and schematics
- Follows company policy and procedures
- Detailed and extensive knowledge of aeronautical, mechanical or electrical design principles, practices and procedures, preferably with experience of parachute technological design and related components and systems
- Knowledge of, and experience with, aerospace equipment design standards as appropriate to engineering – including inter alia, stressing, tolerancing, aerodynamic behavior, fabric materials properties and electrical wiring standards
- Defines problems, collects data, establishes facts and draws valid conclusions Interprets a variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram formats
- Applies advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations
- Extensive knowledge of mathematical concepts such as plane and solid geometry, and trigonometry, and utilizes fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills, including writing and reviewing / approving reports, business correspondence, and procedures
- Effectively presents information and responds to questions groups of managers, clients, and customers
- Working knowledge of office machines and PC computers
- Extensive knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required
- Good working knowledge of AutoCad and 3-D modeling software, preferably SolidWorks, is required for mechanical design engineer.
- Knowledge of LS-DYNA, Hypermesh, Optistruct, and other solid modeling and design tools is desired.
- Knowledge of appropriate electrical engineering design tools is required for electrical design engineer.
- Good working knowledge and prior experience of aerodynamic characteristics assessment and modeling tools is required for aerodynamic engineer
- Good working knowledge and prior experience of fabrics and materials characteristics is required for materials and fabrics engineer
- Utilizes project management and planning tools, such as MS Project
- Explosives Certification Training is required before handling explosives.
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college in Engineering. A graduate degree is desired.
Minimum of fifteen years of detailed, in-depth experience in a specialist area such as mechanical, aerodynamic, fabric, or electrical engineering.
Airborne Systems is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor