The Business Development Manager (BDM) is a position with broad responsibilities to grow the company. This position is responsible to seek out new customers within the US or International market and responsible to identify, qualify and secure business opportunities by cultivating and maintaining mutually beneficial business relationships. This BDM also plans and develops an expanded customer base with the aim to increase sales on an ongoing basis within our Business Units.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities (in order of priority):
- Maximize new business opportunities.
- Work with other departments within Airborne Systems (AS) to develop and negotiate sales contracts.
- Develop a full understanding of each account including but not limited to key contacts, current products and future requirements, procurement and selection process.
- Gather intelligence on customers and competitors to support wins.
- Report on trends and activity in the industry with the aim to improve and expand our product line and customer base.
- Support the Product Development Team to prioritize and grow the business.
- Proactively plan tactics for upcoming opportunities within the assigned customer base.
- Keep account plans up to date.
- Maintain regular contact with key influencers and decision makers for all assigned accounts.
- Continually update personal knowledge of all AS products.
- Recommend and maximize value pricing for AS products.
- Ensure technical questions from existing customers are answered in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Educate customers on new products and developments.
- Provide customer feedback during the development of new or upgraded military products.
- Provide guidance to AS on development needs.
- Facilitate customer demonstrations on AS equipment as needed.
- Facilitate a customer contact database within Salesforce.com and continually build the pipeline.
- Meet with the Business Unit Manager (BUM) on a regular basis to inform them about upcoming projects, products, and changes within each individual customer organization.
- Provide feedback to the BUM on customer satisfaction and complaints concerning their products and services.
- Attend product demonstrations, shows, and other events as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- Follows company rules and procedures.
- Four year college degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Prior military service preferred including jump status qualifications.
- FAA Rigger certificate ideal.
- Human relations skills to deal effectively with both internal and external customers either in person or on the phone.
- Possess problem solving and analytical skills and able to demonstrate strategic initiatives.
- Willingness to travel extensively or for long periods in the US (greater than 50% travel).
- Organize customer visits: planning, managing presenting.
- Experience and understanding of the US military markets.
- Ability to work and travel independently, focusing on expanding current customer base and locating new business opportunities.
- Knowledge of internet, Excel, Syspro, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Salesforce.com and Access
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and seeks clarification; responds well to questions; and demonstrates individual/group presentation skills.
- Good knowledge of business English, spelling and punctuation.
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Must be able to effectively interact with a diverse group of business contacts and company personnel.
- Engages diplomacy when dealing with others; performs well under pressure; understands the need for accountability; and, follows through on commitments.
- Can effectively manage difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyses information fully; develops alternative solutions where needed; works well in group problem solving situations; and, evaluates difficult or complex situations objectively.
- Strong working knowledge / skills obtained through working in the parachute industry, or similar.
- Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of markets and competition; and, aligns work with strategic goals.
Work Environment: (*)
Environment is a moderate office and normally quiet. Occasionally, when in the plant, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles; caustic or toxic chemicals and risk of electrical shock.
Physical Demands: (*)
The position requires that the employee is regularly required to sit and speak or listen. The employee is frequently required to use a computer keyboard, other office equipment, and job related items. The employee is required to frequently travel by airplane, train, bus and automobile. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close, distance, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
*Note: Both the Physical Demand and Work Environment sections are required by the Americans with Disability Act (ADA).
Airborne Systems is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor