The position of O2 Systems R&D Manager provides expertise for the design, development and improvement of new and existing parachutist oxygen products and high pressure gas systems as well as assisting the O2 department for training, maintenance and servicing worldwide.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Through the VP of Engineering and R&D manager, develop designs for high pressure gas systems relating to possible proprietary items, including the research and development of new product lines.
- Direct the preparation of drawings, procedures, sketches, etc., necessary for the development of new products.
- Plans, directs and coordinates the construction of prototypes to meet internal requirements.
- Establish test requirements, and develop and direct the testing of new product prototypes to verify product reliability.
- Assist with air operations during parachute test sessions.
- Conduct continuous search of new materials, processes and procedures to enhance new products.
- Maintain and execute all quality procedures related to high pressure gas systems design.
- Provide customer engineering support.
- Support Airborne Systems in setting up training, maintenance and servicing facilities worldwide. Provide in-country training for customers on oxygen products.
- Support the Sales and Marketing team as required.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- Follows company rules and procedures.
Education & Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
- Sound knowledge of oxygen systems theory and design.
- Five years’ experience in advanced high-pressure systems design and testing.
- Drafting ability to clearly develop ideas in the form of working drawings and sketches.
- Must be familiar with a variety of manufacturing processes, materials selection, and product testing.
- Must have an understanding of the equipment used during high altitude parachuting operations.
- Experience in Government related oxygen equipment programs.
- Must be computer literate with working knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing and CADS programs.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Requires domestic and international travel.
Periodic travel required to support project functions such as supplier visits, product testing, and technical customer meetings.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Physical Demands: (*)
The position requires that the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and kneel. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Vision requirements include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: (*)
This position will require a working environment mix comprised of office, shop floor, field and customer locations (both domestic and international). While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to static electricity; explosives in test conditions; fumes; airborne particles; outside weather conditions prevalent at the time and an air-conditioned and heated office. The noise level is normally moderate may be occasionally high.
*Note: Both the Physical Demand and Work Environment sections are required by the Americans with Disability Act (ADA).
Airborne Systems is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor