At Airborne Systems, we engineer and manufacture high-quality, high-performance parachutes and related products for the military and for search and rescue. For over a century, we have set the standard for capability, quality and performance with our world-class engineering, manufacturing, training and service.
Airborne Systems is a global company, which brings to the market and its customers a history and legacy that embraces four of the world’s leading parachute companies. No other parachute company has the resources of Airborne Systems.
Come be a part of this successful, respected, and growing team!! We especially welcome Transitioning Military Personnel to explore the opportunities available at Airborne Systems.
SUMMARY: The position of Production Engineering Manager will oversee the Production Engineers and Industrial Engineers in their daily support of manufacturing. Additionally, this positions will oversee and participate in the design, development, and installation of components of engineering projects that will result in cost-effective methods of manufacturing superior quality products and fair and equitable manufacturing operating standards.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage, coach and lead a portfolio of cost improvement projects in alignment with company financial targets
- Manages Production Engineers and Industrial Engineers in their day-to-day performance of their jobs
- Review product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer requirements and related specifications
- Oversee process design changes, specification and drawing releases, and coordinate such activities with customer technical teams
- Oversee Corrective Action Reports, and follow through on implementation of rework and process changes
- Oversee BOM and traveler writing and updating to support needs of R&D and Production.
- Oversees the production process, including R&D products and customer returns, and organizes and adjusts all resources and schedules to required demand levels.
- Work closely with Engineering, Production Supervisors, and Suppliers, etc. to drive continuous improvements to existing product lines in a manufacturing environment. This will include:
- Promote Lean philosophy and techniques to all levels of plant personnel
- Work with teams to provide Lean tools to meet manufacturing objectives
- Implement systems for efficiency and quality improvement
- Aid in the work cell layout, design, development and implementation of cell-based manufacturing
- Lead process mapping and Kaizen events for product lines
- Create and maintain standard work process documentation, and visual work instructions
- Track and publish savings and progress of Lean Initiatives
- Coordinate the support of day-to-day operations
- Work with all teams and departments in a manner that supports the production plan and the Customer’s delivery requirements. Identify barriers to successful production, and help drive the push toward resolution and elimination of those barriers
- Help develop and maintain applicable product measures such as on time delivery, inventory, lead times, etc.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned
- Follows company rules and procedures
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Must be able to read drawings/blueprints
- Must be able to demonstrate proven experience in the successful application of lean techniques
- Must have experience driving production metrics and projects to improve metrics
- Previous experience leading teams preferred
- Working knowledge of database, MS Project, AutoCad, Excel, Costpoint, solid modeling & design tools, word processing software
- Project management and planning skills
- 3 to 5 years of experience in manufacturing, preferably in a high labor environment
- Prior experience working with MRP systems is desirable
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, with particular focus on Word, Excel and Access.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- BS in Industrial or mechanical engineering (or equivalent).
- Minimum 5 years of experience in manufacturing, preferably in a high labor environment
- 1-3 years supervisory experience preferred
- S. citizen, permanent resident alien or otherwise able to review all export-controlled technical information
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and able to multi task with urgency
- Willing to go above and beyond to solve difficult problems and motivate the team
- Able to communicate effectively and cooperate with all levels of management and staff.
- Strong leader, team player, self-motivated, enthusiastic, well organized, able to multi task, and solve unexpected staff or equipment related problems in a timely manner.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skill, able to communicate with people at all levels of the organization
- Ability to design, plan and execute testing strategies and tactics to ensure product quality at all stages of manufacturing.
- Knowledge of methodologies, technologies, applications, tools and techniques for designing, building, optimizing processes and managing the manufacture of new and existing products.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Environment is generally office moderate. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles (general office paper dust); toxic or caustic chemicals (toner) and risk of electrical shock.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The position requires that the employee is regularly required to sit and talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to fingers such as with a keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk; reach. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close, distance, peripheral visions, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
*Note: Both the Physical Demand and Work Environment sections are required by the Americans with Disability Act (ADA).
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $105,000.00 – $155,000.00 per year