To repair and maintain all sewing machines as well as other equipment, tools, and machinery. The sewing machine mechanic position also performs building maintenance as needed. Independent judgment is often required for this position due to the limited standardization in repair methods and procedures.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Repairs and maintains all sewing machines used in manufacturing processes.
- Repairs and maintains all other equipment, tools and machinery as needed, including those of an electrical or carpentry nature.
- Performs general building maintenance (e.g. plumbing, painting, equipment installation, basic electrical work, janitorial duty, etc).
- Follows all safety policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- Follows company rules and procedures.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of sewing machine repair experience.
- Specialized training in the types of sewing machines used in the Company manufacturing processes.
- Strong mechanical abilities.
- Experience in general building maintenance, including those in the plumbing and electrical fields.
- Ability to use hand tools and trades type tools.
- Good communication skills required.
- On-the-job training: Two to four months.
Physical Demands: (*)
The position requires that the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to fingers such as with a keyboard. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and/or reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close, distance, and color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: (*)
While in the plant, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles; humidity, toxic or caustic chemicals, near moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The plant noise level is usually loud. Sometimes working outdoors with exposure to changing weather.
*Note: Both the Physical Demand and Work Environment sections are required by the Americans with Disability Act (ADA).