The Vice President of Operations reports to the President and is a key member of the Airborne System North America Executive Team. Airborne Systems operates as a subsidiary of TransDigm Inc. (NYSE: TDG), a diversified manufacturer of highly engineered proprietary aerospace components with annual revenues around $6 billion. Since its founding in 1993, TransDigm has acquired over 50 businesses (including 27 since its IPO in 2006) and has delivered a compound annual growth rate on EBITDA of 26%. TransDigm’s unique private equity-like business model provides operating unit executives a high local autonomy with significant control of business strategy and direction. The company’s three value drivers are simple and unambiguous: profitable new business, productivity, and value-based pricing. People that are drawn to TransDigm are entrepreneurial leaders who think and act like owners. The culture is highly collaborative and performance driven where employees embrace a hard-working business mindset characterized by self- direction, rapid decision-making, and zero tolerance for corporate politics. This is a data driven team environment where everyone and their ideas are respected. Big egos need not apply.
The Vice President of Operations will be a catalyst for optimizing on-time delivery of value- driven products while executing continuous improvement initiatives on all operational fronts. The focus of this search is finding the best natural leader who thrives on developing and inspiring people to the highest levels of team performance, delivers results, and has a hunger to grow into broader general management roles in the future.
The Vice President of Operations provides leadership and promotes an “Ownership, Career Development, and Accountability” culture across all segments of the organization. The VPO has direct responsibility for the teams supporting all plant operations including Production, Quality, Purchasing, Planning, Shipping & Receiving, EH&S, and Maintenance across the business sites located in Santa Ana, CA and Pennsauken NJ.
Peers include individuals responsible for Sales and Marketing, Engineering, Finance, Human Resources and IT. As a key member of the leadership team, the Vice President of Operations will participate regularly in evaluating and establishing the business direction.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive a culture of accountability and produce results for safety, sales, delivery, and quality through effective mentorship, performance management and operational excellence.
- Hire, coach and develop leaders within your team with challenging assignments and opportunities for additional responsibilities and career growth.
- Lead the annual planning process for Operations, Quality, Facility, and Supply Chain areas.
- Lead, monitor, and ensure productivity goals are realized in the financial statements.
- As a member of the Executive team set an example and hold the organization accountable for teamwork, collaboration, integrity, and respect in achievement of our 3 value drivers.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- Follows company rules and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or business discipline. An MBA is desirable.
- 10+ years of leadership positions in manufacturing operations with budgetary or with P&L responsibility (Business Unit Manager or Plant Manager).
- Has an ownership mentality for their performance, for their team’s performance and for total business outcome
- Experience in high-complexity, low volume, high mix aerospace and defense production.
- Demonstrated success in strategic efforts to drive consistent productivity gains.
- Ability to balance long-term manufacturing strategy and day-to-day execution.
- Can create a learning environment that drives measureable improvements through empowerment of people and management by data.
- Strong bias for Action & Collaboration.
- Strong numerical and business acumen for understanding how to impact the income statement and balance sheet as well as invest to grow the business.
- Ability to motivate and develop a team as well as individuals.
- This position oversees operations in Pennsauken NJ and Santa Ana CA which will require a strong ability to lead through planning, process management and measuring of work as well as interpersonal skills.
- Integrity, open communication, and a willingness to address difficult organizational issues with diplomacy, honesty, and respect.
Physical Demands: (*)
The position requires that the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to fingers such as with a keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and/or reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close, distance, and color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: (*)
Environment is a moderate office and normally quiet. Occasionally, when in the plant, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles; caustic or toxic chemicals and risk of electrical shock.
*Note: Both the Physical Demand and Work Environment sections are required by the Americans with Disability Act (ADA).
Airborne Systems is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor