To repair and maintain all sewing machines as well as other equipment, tools, and machinery. The sewing machine mechanic position also performs building maintenance as needed. Independent judgment is often required for this position due to the limited standardization in repair methods and procedures.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Repair and maintain the operating condition of manufacturing production or processing machinery or equipment.
- Repair and maintain all other equipment, tools and machinery as needed, including those of an electrical or carpentry nature.
- Repair or replace broken or malfunctioning components of machinery or equipment.
- Disassemble machinery or equipment to remove parts and make repairs.
- Observe and test the operation of machinery or equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using voltmeters or other testing devices.
- Reassemble equipment after completion of inspections, testing, or repairs.
- Perform general building maintenance as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
- Follow company rules and procedures.
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred. May be required to complete formal training in area of specialty.
- 2-5 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- Specialized training in the types of sewing machines used in the Company manufacturing processes.
- Satisfactory work experience in repairing sewing machines using the needed tools.
- Strong mechanical abilities.
- Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Experience in general building maintenance, including those in the plumbing and electrical fields.
- Ability to use hand tools and trades type tools.
- Good communication skills required.
- Pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Ability to be careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Ability to analyze information and use logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Performs all duties according to safety procedures.
- A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required.
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to work and travel independently.
On-the-job training: Two to four months.
Periodic travel may be required to support project functions such as supplier visits, product testing, and technical customer meetings.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Physical Demands: (*)
The position requires that the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and kneel. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Vision requirements include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: (*)
This position will require a working environment mix comprised of office, shop floor, field and customer locations (both domestic and international). While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to static electricity; explosives in test conditions; fumes; airborne particles; outside weather conditions prevalent at the time and an air-conditioned and heated office. The noise level is normally moderate may be occasionally high.
*Note: Both the Physical Demand and Work Environment sections are required by the Americans with Disability Act (ADA).
Airborne Systems is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.