Plans and conducts activities concerning the quality assurance of processes, materials and products. This position will support continuous improvement of production and inspection processes to attain safety, personnel, quality, production, and cost goals.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Assists the Manager in implementing and maintaining the Quality Management System.
- Develops and manages program specific Quality plans and documentation based on contractual requirements.
- Coordinates the collection, analysis and interpretation of Production process data.
- Ensures that manufacturing instructions include relevant, complete, and accurate quality requirements.
- Provide design improvement feedback to Engineering, Operations, and other personnel on Quality systems as well as Airborne Systems products and services.
- Develops control plans, SOP/WI’s that support the manufacturing plan (including inspection requirements).
- Maintains Document Control of records including Engineering Drawings, Engineering Change Orders, QMS procedures, and related documents.
- Supports government and customer source inspection activities.
- Ensures compliance to the ISO 9001:2015 requirements of all records maintained for receiving, in-process and final inspections.
- Supports internal audit activities.
- Drives root cause analysis of production defects, corrective and preventive actions and problem solving initiatives.
- Drives continuous improvement of manufacturing and inspection processes at both NJ sites utilizing Lean and Six Sigma initiatives (5S, SPC, standardized work, reduced inspection plans, visual controls, etc.).
- Be the change agent to drive continuous improvement throughout all production and inspection processes to meet and exceed quality objectives and customer expectations.
- Creates periodic quality reports, supporting quality and other organizational personnel in maintaining product quality & services
- Performs and/or directs source and in-process inspections.
- Directs preliminary reviews of non-conforming materials and processes.
- Directs inspection of bought out products including but not limited to AGUs, electronic devices, mechanical, and textile based products to company, supplier, and/or customer standards.
- Ensures departmental compliance with Berry amendment as well as any other contractual requirements for purchased materials or manufactured goods.
- Develops and manages First Article Inspection documents and data collection.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- Follows company policy and procedures.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from a four-year college, preferably Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering
- Two to three years in a Manufacturing facility as an Engineer, either Manufacturing or Quality.
- CQE is desirable.
- Ability to drive a Continuous Quality Improvement environment and Best-In-Class First Time Quality performance level.
- Training in and/or experience with Quality procedures: ISO 9001:2015, Process Control, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving, CAPA, FMEA, SPC, Lean Six Sigma strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of quality concepts and principles.
- Reads and interprets engineering drawings, diagrams, schematics, or blueprints
- General familiarity with MIL specifications and standards and commercial equivalents.
- General working knowledge of conventional inspection and measurement equipment
- General working knowledge of Visio Design, MS Project Management, Excel, PowerPoint and Word software.
- Understanding of manufacturing processes, challenges, and solutions.
- Defines problems, collect data, establishes facts, and draws valid conclusions. Interprets extensive variety of technical instructions.
- Good communication and team work skills with internal and external customers and suppliers.
Periodic travel may be required to support project functions such as supplier visits, product testing, and technical customer meetings.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Physical Demands: (*)
The position requires that the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and kneel. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Vision requirements include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: (*)
This position will require a working environment mix comprised of office, shop floor, field and customer locations (both domestic and international). While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to static electricity; explosives in test conditions; fumes; airborne particles; outside weather conditions prevalent at the time and an air-conditioned and heated office. The noise level is normally moderate may be occasionally high.
*Note: Both the Physical Demand and Work Environment sections are required by the Americans with Disability Act (ADA).
Airborne Systems is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor