SUMMARY: Manages, directs, and coordinates activities the Quality Assurance department to support the design, manufacture, and testing of components, products, and systems.
- Serves as manager of the Quality Assurance department. The department consists of a Quality Engineering group which supports Space and Recovery programs, and a Quality group which provides general supports to manufacturing.
- Directly supervises Quality Engineering activities.
- Interviews, hires, and trains employees.
- Plans, assigns, and directs work; appraises performance.
- Provides employees with performance feedback; addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Assess the skills and capabilities of the quality engineering staff. Ensures staffing and work assignments are effectively managed to support execution of the business plan.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Participates in the development and execution of the Department’s overall goals and objectives.
- Directly supports the Quality Engineering staff to fulfill program requirements.
- Supervises and directs the quality engineering support of projects to design new products, prepare bids, modify existing designs, improve production techniques, develop test procedures and provide test support.
- Involved both indirectly and directly with customers and suppliers.
- Communications with customers’ quality and technical leadership to clarify issues throughout the project performance.
- Communicates and coordinates with Airborne Systems New Jersey Quality Manager on company-wide efforts.
- Establish good working relationships with customers by facilitating inspections, customer audits, coordinating with customer quality teams, and generating needed data and reports.
- Supports the bid preparation and ensure that the sales and profitability budgets for the Engineering Department are met, including risk assessment and the development of risk mitigation options. Assist the Bid/Program Managers in developing the product, design, project schedule and cost to meet the customer’s requirements.
- Provide recommendations that will allow the Senior Management Team to ensure that the likely financial outcome is consistent with the degree of risk.
- Ensure departmental procedures are followed and coordinate quality activities within the Engineering Department and with other departments in order to keep projects on schedule and maximize efficiency.
- Recognize, develop, and implement opportunities for continual improvement of the department’s quality capability.
- Succession planning for all key positions. Maintain project management focus on providing the highest quality on-going product and customer support.
- Provides direction and example for interpretation of company policies and procedures to the engineering activities. Follows company policies and procedures.
- Establishes metrics for the performance of the quality engineering function of the department. Assigns critical and major elements in support of AS9100.
- Supports assigned Programs as Lead Quality Engineer
- Performs other duties as assigned/needed
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Effectively interfaces at all levels of the organization, utilizing excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Effectively presents information and responds well to questions.
- Current certification as an internal auditor to AS9100 Rev D is highly desired.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, Syspro
- Knowledge of contractual requirements, budgets, and control mechanisms.
- Working knowledge of probability and statistical inference, plane and solid geometry and trigonometry, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions.
- Prepares reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals
- Working knowledge of GD&T.
- Thinks strategically to develop strategies to achieve goals and adapts strategies to changing conditions.
- U.S. citizenship is required and must be Able to qualify for a security clearance.
- Ten years of overall experience as a Quality Engineer with a minimum three years of experience as a Quality Engineering supervisor in an Aerospace and Defense business, with exposure to manufacturing and design/development programs.
- Experience with implementation and management of an AS9100 Rev D quality System
- Must be able to effectively solve problems while meeting multiple deadlines.
- Must have a high degree of initiative and be able to work independently to manage and complete projects in a fast paced environment.
- Must possess strong leadership
- Must have excellent attention to detail.
Bachelor’s degree from a four year college in a professional engineering discipline. MS degree is a plus
Environment is a moderate office and normally quiet. Occasionally, when in the plant, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles; caustic or toxic chemicals and risk of electrical shock.
The position requires that the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hand to fingers such as on a keyboard, reach with arms and hands and climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and may need to lift up to 50lbs without assistance. Specific vision abilities include close and distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
EEO COMMITMENT: Airborne Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, ethnic group identification, marital/parental status, physical/mental disability, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender/gender identity or expression or genetic information; the perception of one or more of such characteristics; or association with a person/group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
E-VERIFY: Airborne Systems is an E-Verify employer. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees in the United States.