This position is responsible for international business results (profit and loss, meeting annual plan and growth in the value of the business). The scope of the position includes: leadership of a cross functional business unit team (contracts, operations, engineering, quality), new international business generation, proposal preparation, bookings (orders), profit and loss accountability, developing and maintaining customer relationships, establishing the yearly business plan, overseeing operating activities to ensure good customer service and cost objective are met, contract negotiation and other duties.
Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the International Business Unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and guide the business team in the pursuit of profitable new international business and maintain clear focus and priorities in the product team.
- Focus on value creation – value based pricing, capturing profitable new international business opportunities, and continual productivity improvement.
- Develop annual and long term business plans for business unit.
- Develop sales and marketing plan to drive new international business to meet business unit goals.
- Oversight of team as necessary to support business growth and customer retention.
- Work closely with total organization regarding business targets and actions including customer meetings and sales calls.
- Negotiate sales contractual commitments with customers.
- Oversight and involvement in cost estimation process to ensure cost accuracy and appropriate pricing.
- Prioritization and coordination of engineering activities in support of the business unit goals.
- Prepare reports and present business unit results and metrics to company senior management.
- Meet with International Business Development Managers on a regular basis to discuss upcoming projects, products, and changes within each individual customer organization.
- Represent Airborne through product demonstrations, shows, and other events as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four year college or university; technical discipline preferred.
- 7 or more combined years of experience in Sales, Operations, Finance and/or Engineering with industrial experience preferred.
- Previous team management experience a strong plus.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills.
- Critical problem solving abilities and analytical skills and able to demonstrate strategic initiatives.
- Experience and understanding of international military markets.
- Ability to work and travel independently, focusing on expanding current customer base and locating new business opportunities.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment.
- Working knowledge of management and supervisory principles.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Able to manage and prioritize multiple programs to maximize value creation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and seeks clarification; responds well to questions; and demonstrates individual/group presentation skills.
- Good knowledge of business English, spelling and punctuation.
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Must be able to effectively interact with a diverse group of business contacts and company personnel.
- Engages diplomacy when dealing with others; performs well under pressure; understands the need for accountability; and, follows through on commitments.
Travel required for extensive or for long periods anywhere around the world (50% travel).
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Physical Demands: (*)
The position requires that the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and kneel. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Vision requirements include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: (*)
This position will require a working environment mix comprised of office, shop floor, field and customer locations (both domestic and international). While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to static electricity; explosives in test conditions; fumes; airborne particles; outside weather conditions prevalent at the time and an air-conditioned and heated office. The noise level is normally moderate may be occasionally high.
*Note: Both the Physical Demand and Work Environment sections are required by the Americans with Disability Act (ADA).
Airborne Systems is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor