Plans, directs, coordinates, and monitors the scheduling, pricing, scope creep and technical performance of the designated projects to ensure that objectives and goals are accomplished within prescribed contract schedule and funding. Responsible for aiding in the negotiation of contracts and contractual changes and coordinating preparations of proposals, plans, specifications, and financial conditions of contracts. Develops new business and expands product line. Ensures adherence to master plans and schedules and develops solutions to program problems. Recommends changes to improve process efficiency and alleviate process inaccuracy and duplication.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Effectively leads a team in a matrix organization.
- Leads execution of projects to meet or exceed the financial goal and is directly responsible for program profit or loss; manages programs whose total sales volumes do not exceed $3,000,000.
- Leads bid preparation and ensures that the sales and profitability objectives for the Business Unit are met or exceeded.
- Develops and maintains effective customer and vendor interfaces throughout and after the lifespan of each project.
- Provides leadership in program planning, policies, procedures, design, productivity, and product innovation.
- Recognizes and develops business opportunities that arise as a part of each program’s conduct and communicates timely with the Business Development function.
- Effectively presents information and responds to customers, managers, and employees.
- Coordinates engineering activities within the department and with other departments.
- Ensures accurate and timely data is provided to Senior Management on gross margin/contribution to facilitate assessment of target attainment.
- Recognizes and encourages development of patentable technologies and products containing the company’s intellectual property.
- Develops and establishes guidelines for project/program management metrics.
- Ensures department procedures are followed.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year College in an Engineering discipline or acceptable industry experience.
- 5+ years of experience within an engineering services and product development business.
- 3+ years of project management experience.
- Experience in parachute technological design and components and systems are highly desirable.
- Recognized certification in project management is highly desirable.
- Must be US citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Good team leadership and interpersonal skills to promote enthusiasm and ensure team success.
- Plans effectively to achieve program goals and milestones.
- Utilizes analytical judgment within program parameters.
- Writes reports, business correspondence, and procedures/ effectively presents information and responds to questions groups of managers, clients, and customers.
- Working knowledge of office machines and PC computers.
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PowerPoint and Outlook is required.
- Utilizes project management and planning tools, such as MS Project.
- General knowledge of aeronautical and mechanical engineering design principles, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to interface effectively at all levels, between various functional departments.
Periodic travel may be required to support project functions such as supplier visits, product testing, and technical customer meetings.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Physical Demands: (*)
The position requires that the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and kneel. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Vision requirements include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: (*)
This position will require a working environment mix comprised of office, shop floor, field and customer locations (both domestic and international). While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to static electricity; explosives in test conditions; fumes; airborne particles; outside weather conditions prevalent at the time and an air-conditioned and heated office. The noise level is normally moderate may be occasionally high.
*Note: Both the Physical Demand and Work Environment sections are required by the Americans with Disability Act (ADA).
Airborne Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V