At Airborne Systems, we engineer and manufacture high-quality, high-performance parachutes and related products for the military and for search and rescue. For over a century, we have set the standard for capability, quality and performance with our world-class engineering, manufacturing, training and service.
Airborne Systems is a global company, which brings to the market and its customers a history and legacy that embraces four of the world’s leading parachute companies. No other parachute company has the resources of Airborne Systems.
Come be a part of this successful, respected, and growing team!! We especially welcome Transitioning Military Personnel to explore the opportunities available at Airborne Systems.
This position is responsible for the general supervision of a department engaged in the production of parachute systems and related parts, which includes both manufacturing and personnel issues. Plans and assigns work, implements policies and procedures and drives improvements in production methods, equipment, operating procedures and working conditions through project work.
Manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the all matters related to workforce attendance, disciplinary actions, interviewing, hiring, training, firing, and transfers of employees as well as planning, assigning, and directing work within that department. Performs employee evaluations and tracks individual performances including productivity and errors. Approves timecards and enters all time off requests for employees in payroll system. Makes technical decisions on a daily basis to ensure proper flow of material through key production lines and leads project work to drive continuous improvement in work flow.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Provides day to day oversight to the manufacturing/production team, including supervision of Leads.
- Maintains and achieves daily/monthly production plans and build schedules of products.
- Manages, organizes and assigns work to ensure effective use of manpower and facilities.
- Identifies and corrects conditions detrimental to safety or health that might adversely affect employees, the facilities, equipment, or productivity levels.
- Interprets specifications, blueprints, patterns and job orders to process employees and makes assignments while optimizing cutting process and equipment.
- Executes to production plan and supports other work centers in pursuit of overall business success.
- Collaborates with all areas of Airborne Systems and teams, in order to streamline production, shipment, and workflow throughout the plant.
- Interprets various reporting documents in place to ensure continuity of the operations, including but not limited to labor reporting, efficiency reporting, utilization reporting.
- Develops, recommends and implements measures to improve methods, equipment performance, and product quality.
- Ensures effective employee relations. Make employment decisions. Interviews, hires, trains and evaluates manufacturing employees; discipline; ensure adherence to company policies and regulations. Coach and grow employees to achieve maximum effectiveness of all efforts. Resolves employee issues through problem resolution.
- Reviews and approves timecards and time off requests for all direct reports.
- Implements, enforces and documents training for all process employees in quality assurance, safety, and machine and department operations. Maintains a training program to ensure all employees comply with the required training activities.
- Manages department priorities.
- Drives continuous improvement projects to reduce lost time and reduce material scrap.
- Drives cross-training and learning of new skills to adequately deploy employee resources to various product lines as needed.
- Advises management of departmental manufacturing capabilities.
- Actively participates in EHS activities such as area inspections, safety assessments, team meetings, accident investigations and procedure development.
- Brings unsafe conditions to management’s attention or corrects as able.
- Ensures departmental compliance with current ISO quality system requirements and Berry amendment as well as any other contractual requirements for manufactured goods.
- Ensures operations comply with Federal, State, and local regulations.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial, Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) required.
- Experience in manufacturing environment preferred.
- Experience in textile manufacturing a plus.
- Parachute industry manufacturing background desirable but not required.
- Well organized and able to adapt to a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and computer-based applications.
- Ability to lead complex manufacturing engineering programs from start to completion
- Ability to make technical and logistics decisions to support business needs daily.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings in English to the extent required to manufacture parachute systems and related parts.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs; ability to lead others through change.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong team player and leader with the ability to work across multiple functions and disciplines.
- Bilingual preferred but not required.
- Strong leadership and self-motivational skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse workforce.
- Good verbal communication skills are required in order to accurately convey manufacturing and quality standards to subordinates as well as to interact with peers and management
Extensive on the job training in company standards and procedures.
Periodic travel may be required between sites.
ITAR Requirements: TO CONFORM TO U.S. GOVERNMENT SPACE TECHNOLOGY EXPORT REGULATIONS, APPLICANT MUST BE A U.S. CITIZEN, LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENT OF THE U.S., PROTECTED INDIVIDUAL AS DEFINED BY 8 U.S.C. 1324B(A)(3), OR ELIGIBLE TO OBTAIN THE REQUIRED AUTHORIZATIONS FROM THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE.
This position will require a working environment mix comprised of office, shop floor, field and customer locations (both domestic and international). While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to static electricity; explosives in test conditions; fumes; airborne particles; outside weather conditions prevalent at the time and an air-conditioned and heated office. The noise level is normally moderate may be occasionally high.
The position requires that the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and kneel. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Vision requirements include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We offer excellent benefits: 401(k), 401(k) matching, Dental insurance, Disability insurance, Employee assistance program, Flexible schedule, Flexible spending account, Health insurance, Health savings account, Life insurance, Paid time off, Parental leave, Professional development assistance, Retirement plan, Tuition reimbursement, Vision insurance
Airborne Systems is an E-Verify employer. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees in the United States.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Airborne Systems North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Airborne Systems North America is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract, Exempt
Salary: $80,000.00 – $85,000.00 per year